SS-Profile Feature List
The following partial feature list is intended to provide a more thorough look at the capabilities of SS-Profile CNC cutting software. Although comprehensive, it should not be considered all inclusive.
Please contact Striker Systems with specific SS-Profile CAD/CAM feature questions.
Advanced CAD Features
– Unlike many punching solutions that offer rudimentary design capability,
SS-Profile provides a powerful CAD solution. SS-Design is bundled with every
SS-Profile purchase, so the features of
SS-Design should also be considered when comparing product features.
– The precision sheet metal industry has rapidly embraced solid modeling
technology. SS-Profile takes full advantage of this technology by including the
PARTshare module with every SS-Profile purchase.
Automatic Tool-Path Assignment
– The tool-path represents all of the information necessary to generate
the NC program. This includes cutting parameters and lead-in/out information.
The tool-path is easily added to a single part, a group of selected
parts, or an entire nest job. This can be an interactive process of selecting
the part(s) to process, or fully automated during batch import of CAD files or
nest job processing.
Material Based Cutting Parameters
– Cutting parameters are associated to a specific material type, thickness, and
length of cut. This allows SS-Profile to create NC code optimized for
your machine and cutting requirements.
Material Based Leads
– SS-Profile provides extensive control over lead-in and lead-out operations.
The type, size, and default location of the leads can be dynamic based on
specific part criteria. Lead definitions can be associated to specific
materials to optimize lead selection.
Multiple Process Support
– SS-Profile supports multiple processes to automate such operations as laser
etching. Each process can be set up with its own set of cutting parameters. The
process can then be associated to a specific CAD layer name. If that layer is
encountered during tool-path application, the associate cutting parameters are
automatically applied to the objects on that layer.
Modify Cutting Parameters
– Although cutting parameters are initially assigned based on shape and
material properties, it is a very easy process should it become necessary to
adjust the cutting parameters on any existing tool-path.
Modify Lead Parameters
– Although leads are initially assigned based on shape and material properties,
it is a very easy process should it become necessary to adjust the lead type,
size, or location on an existing tool-path. Changes to lead parameters can be
limited to the selected shape, or globally applied within the selected part.
Lead Location Override
– SS-Profile includes a batch lead location override that allows movement of
leads to a common location on selected part(s).
Automatic Tab Placement
– It may be necessary to leave tabs on parts for a variety of reasons including
keeping smaller parts from tipping and introducing a collision potential, to
keep parts from warping due to heat build-up, or to hold parts into place on
non-flying optic machines. Regardless of the reason, SS-Profile offers
both automatic and interactive placement of tabs. In an automatic mode, tab
parameters are dictated by the material properties. The number of tabs placed
is user configurable based on the size of the shape to be tabbed.
– When processing CAD geometry it is not uncommon to encounter spline objects.
A spline object cannot be interpreted by a machine, and therefore must be
converted to equivalent line/arc geometry. SS-Profile includes an automatic
spline conversion feature that operates within a user-specified acceptable
Drop Door Support
– Parts can be automatically dropped or interactively assigned a drop door
definition. In an automatic mode a drop door definition can be assigned to a
part based on part size. This definition includes the push out distance,
therefore insuring proper part ejection.
– Bridge cutting is a technique of continuous cutting of external contours with
a single pierce. It creates a small tab (or bridge) between adjacent parts
enabling the CNC cutting machine to quickly cut each part without lifting the
head. This can significantly reduce pierce times thereby improving machine
throughput. SS-Profile automates the bridge cutting process on selected parts
or an entire nest job.
– Chain cutting is a pierce reduction technique where all internal contours are
first processed and then external contours are cut in a chain operation. The
lead-out of each part continues cutting to the lead-in of the subsequent part.
Automatic Corner Ramping
– For optimized cut quality, SS-Profile provides automatic detection and
adjustment of cutting parameters when cutting around corners.
– Corner looping is a means of improving cut quality on sharp corners of
external contours by cutting beyond the edge of the contour, performing a loop,
and reentering the contour on the subsequent edge.
Common Edge Cutting
– Common edge cutting makes a single cut between two adjacent parts that share
a common line. Common edge cutting can significantly reduce the number of
pierces and cutting length required.
Automatically Grid Parts
– Quickly grid parts based on quantity requirements or sheet size. Output NC
program as individual parts or a part macro.
– For machines with automatic sheet reposition capability, simply activate the
automatic reposition control and sheet repositions are assigned to process
contours that fall beyond the machine cutting limits.
Work Clamp Support
– For CNC machines with work clamps, SS-Profile provides full support including
automatic placement with collision detection.
Cut Sequence Optimization
– SS-Profile provides cut sequence optimization of both internal contours and
part to part. Both automatic and interactive optimization utilities are
included. This minimizes machine travel and improves throughput.
Head-Down Processing with Collision Avoidance
– The process of lifting the head on a CNC
laser to move from one cut to another can add significant process time to a
nested layout. Ideally the laser head would remain in the lowered position as
it moves from one contour to the next; however, in the event that a previously
cut shape has tipped the potential for a head collision is introduced. To
overcome this issue and minimize machine runtime, SS-Profile includes head-down
processing with collision avoidance. Lead locations are analyzed along with cut
sequence and a new path is calculated that minimizes part crossover. The laser
head is then operated in the lowered position except where absolutely necessary
for collision avoidance.
– SS-Profile provides numerous utilities to view/edit the tool-path on
individual contours, on parts, or on multiple part nested layouts.
Setup Sheet Creation
– At the time the NC program is created, SS-Profile automatically creates a
report with the desired information for machine setup. A report template is
provided to adjust that output to your organization.
– SS-Profile includes DNC communications software to handle basic requirements.
For more sophisticated DNC implementations Striker Systems offers
SS-DNC, a comprehensive NC program transfer system.
Reverse Engineering (Back Plotting)
– SS-RevEng can be added to SS-Profile to facilitate reverse engineering needs.
Existing NC programs can be read and recreated in the SS-Profile workspace.